Thursday, July 11, 2013

Time



As each day goes by, I get closer and closer with the kids at the orphanage. Working and playing with the kids is a blast each day. I don’t think I have ever been so excited to wake up at 6:00 in the morning to go somewhere. I have been away from home for what feels like an eternity. I am not going to lie, I do get a little homesick from time to time. And it is nice to call someone brother and sister.
Today on July 7th, we put up the walls and finished painting the first layer of the boys' new home. It is  incredibly motivating to see the huge smiles on some of these boys faces while you are working. A small tin house may not seem like an outstanding home in the States, but here, for these kids, a small tin house is a palace.
With that said, I have been feeling very guilty lately. I have been focusing a lot on what these kids don’t have and feeling bad for them and sort of guilty because I have so much. But I've realized that I shouldn’t focus on what they don’t have and instead focus more on what they do have. I have figured out something incredible that they do have. They have each other. I think that says something about these kids and how incredible they are.
I am trying to live in the moment as much as possible when I am at the orphanage because as each second goes by with these kids, I know there aren’t going to be many more. 

No comments:

Post a Comment