Wednesday, July 23, 2014

UNIQUE

Since day one at LOAMO we have been able to see first hand the astounding academic progression students have made. But today, I got to see first hand how much we have helped the teachers at LOAMO progress.

Today I initiated a conversation with Madame Flora in an attempt to learn a little more about her. I really wanted to know where she came from, if she was married, if she had kids, or brothers or sisters, etc. Madame Flora is the youngest of 3, her parents were happily married but her mother died giving birth to her. Both siblings went on to be farmers, but she took a different and unique path. Madame Flora decided to get enough money to go to the Arusha Teacher's College. She then landed a job as a teacher at LOAMO and has been teaching for 10 years. It was so inspiring to hear her tell that story of why she didn’t want to be an average farmer…. she wanted to be unique.

After hearing her story she started asking me questions. She was particularly interested in hearing how the teachers at LOAMO compared to the teachers in the States. She said, “I assume they are much better because they get paid 10 times more a month.” I then continued to tell her that she would be surprised because not every teacher in the States is a great teacher. Let’s face it, regardless of how much the teachers in the United States get paid, there are still some whose performance is below adequate. She nearly jumped out of her seat because she was so shocked. She then told me, “The other day while watching you teach fractions I realized something: I realized that no matter what your wage is, it’s still something. I don’t care if you are paid less than I am; if you are given a job you do it well, you do it an extraordinary way. Before you kids came here I would write down exercises on the board and just simply have the students copy and do them. We have done this every day until you showed up and taught in a different way. Watching you teach with creativity and enthusiasm was unique. I have never seen the students so excited to do fractions. So now when I plan a lesson I will be like you…. unique.”


Hearing this statement was one of the most empowering things I think I have ever heard. In that speech Madame Flora gave me a reward, a lesson, and inspiration. Not only will I leave the school of LOAMO knowing that I have made a difference that will help many kids for years to come, but also I will leave with the inspiration of a lifetime. I can’t express how determined I am to go home and get a job and not only do it well, but do it in an extraordinary way… I will continue to be unique.

No comments:

Post a Comment