Monday, July 14, 2014

CONFIDENCE

-Dictionary Definition: con·fi·dence
ˈkänfədəns,-fəˌdens/
noun
noun: confidence
1. the feeling or belief that one can rely on someone or something; firm trust."we had every confidence in the staff"
2. 
the state of feeling certain about the truth of something."it is not possible to say with confidence how much of the increase in sea levels is due to melting glaciers"

a feeling of self-assurance arising from one's appreciation of one's own abilities or qualities."she's brimming with confidence"

My Definition: Often times being confused with arrogance and cockiness, confidence is one’s ability to believe in themselves and being able to push oneself to new limits.

Being in your comfort zone can be a very dangerous thing. But thankfully we have confidence, which allows us to get outside of our comfort zone. Confidence gives a flightless bird a pair of wings, confidence shatters records, and confidence makes “impossible” a suggestion.  And today confidence made me stop observing and start teaching, which gave me an opportunity to change these kids’ lives.

It may seem unrealistic that 8 short hours of lessons taught by high school students would drastically change the small population that attends the LOAMO Medium English school in Arusha, Tanzania. But if you saw what I saw today you would have no choice but to agree with me, primarily because we not only provide a presence of authority, knowledge, hope, but inspiration as well. I know for a fact that Class 7 at the LOAMO School in Arusha would have had a completely different day had we not been there. But because we were there we not only provided lesson plans that weren’t from a 1963 textbook, but we also provided inspiration.

Today I got a chance to sit down with Erick and Othman. I asked both of them what their plans were after grade seven of Primary English School. Both students told me that they didn’t want to move on to English Secondary School. Since they didn’t know how to interview and apply they were considering working at either the local Arusha market or becoming a policeman. This was alarming to me, primarily because Rasta John (A local Arusha translator) said, “Not only do you get laughed at and constantly judged but it is very hard to find work in Tanzania if you don’t pass Grade 7.” This was hard to hear from two outstanding students. Therefore, I not only brought this to Mr. Dennis’ attention but I am constantly working with them to be comfortable and outstanding interviewees. I am also pleased to say that Mr. Dennis will be helping them create resumes and will be helping both students throughout the entire application process.


-Passing grade 7 and moving on to English Secondary School in Tanzania will make it far more likely for a person to be successful in life; just ask Rasta John. And throughout the course of a short school day I have already begun to make it more likely for the students in the LOAMO Medium school in Arusha, Tanzania to be that much more successful in life. Granted, I wouldn’t have made nearly as much of a difference in the LOAMO students’ lives had I kept being an observer. But thanks to my confidence I made a difference.

3 comments:

  1. Kev--I'm confident that you and your group will continue to find the confidence to make a difference. Great perspective. We miss you Kevy. XO, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so amazing and well written! I am so proud to call you my cousin :) Miss you and the Nichols clan very much!
    Love, Caitlin

    ReplyDelete