Wednesday, July 20, 2016

Home


Wow, I can’t believe it, here I am, two years later. I’m home.

It’s funny, a few months ago, it finally hit me that I was going back. When it hit me, my heart would race, my stomach would drop, my palms would sweat and my mind would race, asking myself questions like, “Will anyone remember me?” or “What if I get there and no one recognizes me?”

However, two days ago when we were headed to our first day at LOAMO my heartbeat was steady, my palms were dry, and my head had achieved this state of tranquility that I had no idea existed. It was like my body knew, I was on my way home.

Before the van was even put in park I jumped out running. I was shortly greeted by a sea of hugs. The kind of hugs you clench the other person so hard, because the thought of losing them from your grip it makes your heart sink.

After a more than warming welcoming, I got a chance to settle in. I was eager to get to work, but at the same time I wanted to see what has changed over the past two years. At first glance I thought nothing had changed. Mr. Kimaro’s handshake was still firm yet generous, Madame Mary’s smile was still beautiful and contagious, baby class was still drop dead adorable, Madame Happiness still scares me, and the students still exhibit an incomparable drive, value, and love for their education. Really the only thing that had changed was a new coat of paint, some new uniforms, and a few new faces. At the time I didn’t think much of it. In fact, seeing these new faces kind of bummed me out. These new faces replaced some of the old staff the I thought was irreplaceable.

That was until I met Mr. Mallison, one of the few new faces. After sitting in on one of his math lessons, I was completely dumbfounded by his passion and enthusiasm that he displayed in class. It was completely unlike anything I have ever seen in the classroom. I had a hunch he wasn’t that passionate about adding and subtracting mixed integers. So I asked him, “Why do you teach?” Contrary to the typical response, “Well I don’t do it for the money.” He Replied softly, looking me dead in the eye saying, “The one who gives, receives more than what they are giving.” He continued saying, “I give students the knowledge they need to pass class 6 math. But they give me the knowledge to succeed in life. They teach me more than I have ever taught them.

I sat back, dreaming of a world in which every day I go to work I am not only happy but I am receiving a lifetime worth of lessons in return. If I am ever so lucky to accomplish that I will be forever grateful. I hope that if I continue to strive, like Mr. Mallison, that dream will come true.

No comments:

Post a Comment